Friday, June 6, 2008

Decoupage and Peanut butter


I made a chocolate cake last night with peanut butter frosting (it's what I'll make for Emily's birthday party). As usual the frosting was wonderful but the cake was not so good. I used a cake mix that was a little past it's exp. date. I wouldn't have done that with meat or cheese, etc. but cake mix I thought wouldn't taste much different. It did. Not super noticeable but just not as good as a fresh baked (not expired) cake. I won't do that for Emily's party! I just wanted to get rid of the mix. This frosting is THE BEST if you like peanut butter and super super easy to make. I doubled the recipe for this 13x9 cake.
I decoupaged for the 1st time last night! I did a horrible job though. You can't see it that much in the photos but it's all bubbled and rippled. I don't really get how to do it so I just painted the bucket with Mod Podge and then put the paper on. Smoothed it out as much as possible with a brayer and my hands then this morning I added another coat of Mod Podge. This morning is when I discovered how bad it was bubbled. It's coming away from the bucket-like it didn't stick or something. What to do? I'm going to bring it by the store for help. Corinnea explained the basics of decoupage but I guess I didn't hear everything she said.


3 comments:

kms handmade said...

I'm sure you'll get plenty of tips when you come in, but most important is to make sure the entire back of the piece of paper is coated in glue. You can put glue on the surface, but it's good to put it on the paper too. Then start laying it in the center and push the bubbles out. It's really cute in the photos!

Corinnea said...

You need to revise this, cause your bucket looks good! I love the paper.

jules said...

Holy Sh** that frosting is to DIE FOR!!! Jenny, that is sinful! I ate 1/4 of a sheet cake (my fourth had the pb frosting, Steve's 3/4 had his yucky traditional frosting) because the frosting was so delicious. You aren't kidding how good that is. I was bummed when I made it because I forgot to buy whole milk, but it turned out just fine with skim milk.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...