Monday, August 17, 2015

Plaid Alice Top --Tessuti


I made this top months ago when we were still living in San Diego but never blogged it. I have several things to blog....
Fabric: light weight seersucker plaid from Beverly's fabric about 2011
Size: Small (I'm not normally a small. Usually a medium or large but this runs huge)
I lined the yoke in  Anna Maria solid voile and NO interfacing
For the sleeves I lined it in the same plaid and used NO interfacing. I added a piece to the armhole to close the arm hole up a bit. I cannot stand my skin touching skin in that area when I sweat so I had to add it! You can see it better 2 pictures down. Lastly, I did a 3" hem.


I had to add this one because I look I'm pregnant and my back aches.

I love this top! I think it would look  cute in so many different fabrics. If you google Alice top Tessuti and click on images, you will see so many cute versions!

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Ottobre Pintuck Top #4


Ottobre Pintuck top from the 5/2008 issue. You can see #1 and #2 here. I gave Kelly my #3 but never blogged it. I don't even wear the two mentioned above. The black is too thick and the polka dot is too thin. But this one I'm blogging about now? It's just right..
The fabric is a voile/lawn-like fabric from Joann's bought many many months ago (in fact this shirt was made months ago but I'm just now blogging it). I bought as much of it as I could and searched the other joanns in my area but no luck. I got it in a red and white stripe too. If anyone finds more and would ship to me, I would be forever grateful:)


The pattern is pretty easy to follow. The above instructions are all that's given. I like pictures with my instructions but you don't get that with Ottobre magazine. I omitted the back seam and back yoke. I just cut the back on the fold. I didn't do pockets this time.

I have another shirt to blog but we're moving! Moving across the country and Jon is finally coming home after 14 months in Korea. So I may or may not blog again till we get to DC.

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Destashing

I am currently de stashing some fabric and crafts on Instagram. If anyone is interested, my Instagram destash name is @parrish_destash  . I am listing lots and lots of vinyl/coated cotton from when I made bibs and art smocks.  Also misc quilting cottons and more.

Thursday, March 26, 2015

7 Hudson (Sweat) Pants


There are only 6 pictured but I made 7 ! Two yellow, two pink, two blue and one pirate. Four of them were for other kids. I have a lot of fabric to get rid of so I used up all this Oliver + S polka dot knit ( I was able to squeeze out one short pair and one long pair from each polka dot fabric). 

The pirate one is from a friend in Germany. She gave me a half yard which after receiving it I thought, what the hell am I going to do with 1/2 yard of this fabric?? Well probably a year later I found something! This pair is for my friend Kristine's son Hans. All of these are size 5 with no changes to the pattern--only the amount of elastic used in the waist.
As you can see, the shorter ones on Emily are too short. They really should start below her knees. And the long ones could be longer but the fit around waist and thighs is perfect (like I said, all of these are size 5). Emily is 9 (25" hip, 52.5" tall) and Ava is 7 (25" hip and 45" tall) for reference.  
for this blue pair above I didn't have enough for the pockets so I used a totally different knit. It's more stretchy and thinner but it worked.
I enjoyed making all of these and they went fast. Soooo easy. The pattern was written well and I can't think of any problems I had...

I did it all on the serger (it took me 20 years or so to realize you can do knits on the serger easily!)Except the waist band channels; those were done on the sewing machine.

Friday, March 20, 2015

Tova Top: Flight Voile

Pattern is by Wiksten and called Tova. The fabric is Birch Organic Voile, Flight in color River Rock. I took a very long time to decide if I wanted to make this top because I'm not a fan of the Mandarin collar. But some of the versions I've seen of this shirt made are really cute so I finally decided to make it. I also was disappointed in this fabric when it arrived. It's a weird grey. More like a putty/lilac/grey. Sooo hard to explain. I have a million colors of thread but I still had to go out and buy a color to match this. Anyway, I think I like it.....I had trouble photographing it (this is two different days and the colors don't quite match. I had my friend Lisa take some of them then went out just now and had Emily take the top photo and the bottom photo. I wanted to show all views. There was a side view too but that didn't come out.

I altered the sleeves to be short (about 3" from the armpit). I made 2 muslin's (because I couldn't figure out what size I'd be) One in XL and one in Medium. I ended up making the Large. If it helps, I'm a 36D and 5 feet 7" tall but that's the only measurements you'll get from me:) "I'm big boned!" 
Oh and the pattern instructions were just ok. I didn't like the instructions being black and white photos and the fabrics used in the photos were hard to see. I researched and everyone I found said they loved the instructions. I guess I'm just difficult....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...