Sunday, April 14, 2013

Apple shirt

H&M top on the left (lady bugs) and my version on the right (apples).
I've had this brown lady bug top for ever (Emily wore it and now Ava) and I even have a mushroom version and a white version with cats; all 3 from H&M. I LOVE this silhouette. It's soooo cute on little girls and if you pair it with the right jeans or shorts it's timeless. So I searched for a similar looking pattern and found this one. I think it's pretty close.
*cuckoo clock from Pottery Barn Kids about 5 years ago.

The pattern is McCalls 6388. I only had it starting in size 6 so that is what I made for Ava but it's too big in the neck area (which I have found to be very common from the big pattern companies). It was also WAY to big in the sleeves but I was able to redo those..after I had already sewed one on. I redid the back closer too. I didn't want 3 buttons to close it and an overlap.
*Green sweater is from H&M.
I added a lot of top stitching because it was very plain and looked homemade. It's weird how just little details can make something look store bought vs. homemade (but I guess that's also subjective).  The apple fabric is stuff I bought while in Japan last November.  I bought 3 or 4 meters of this I think. It feels like a voile but with a poly/cotton feel (not in a gross polyester way but I think I can just tell  there is polyester in it and It doesn't wrinkle.) When I worked at Yardage City, the owner would give me lessons on how to tell what's in a fabric by feel and by smell and by smell after you burn some of it. Or what color the flame is while it burns. Most of it went in one ear and out the other since there were SO many things to remember:)...anyway, the bodice part is lined in an off white batiste and no interfacing. I'm really into not interfacing garments lately..I think I abused it too much in the past ..
See how it gapes at the neck? She's wearing a tank top under.

I only had this one green button with a shank so that's what I used! 

9 comments:

Unknown said...

What's cuter? The shirt or your model?!

jules said...

I like what Heather Murphy said! It's true!!! Both are so stinkin' cute!

Venus-Suburbia Soup said...

Yours is definitely better than H&M! Good idea on the topstitching, it really adds and as for interfacing... I know, I'm the same way at times. STILL, the top is too cute! Awww and look at Ava... the close up of her is sooo adorable, I just wanna give her a hug!

kms handmade said...

I love it! I don't think it looks that much too big, but maybe it's the photos. She'll grow into it. You could always redraft the yoke if you make it again. I think the fabric is adorable!

pearlswirl said...

It's soooooo cute! The topstitching does make it look store-bought, although that's also your wicked sewing skills that make it look machine-made!! She's so cute! Secret: sometimes i buy clothes in the h&m kids section because it's sooo much cheaper! Not bottoms (my booty gets in the way) but tops I can get away with since i have zero cleavage. :D

Corinnea said...

I love it! I looooooove top stitching. I may have a tendency to go overboard sometimes. I think your's looks fantastic.

That Ava girl is so very cute.

Queenie Jeannie said...

I think it's adorable!!! Great job!

And I spy your cuckoo clock, lol!

Jessica said...

Oh I love this! I will have to get the pattern next time its on sale and get mom to fix the neck... and make it ... lol!

Jessica said...

ps I want to dress as cute as your kids!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...